Saturday, July 19, 2014

Houston, we have a problem!

Ugh.

UGHHHHH!

I'm so irritated right now, I can't even deal!

Anyway, as some of you may or may not know, I rewrote Love Unbroken. After reading it in print a few times, I realized that I didn't put out my best work and didn't feel like it was fair to the people who took the time to take a chance on me. So, I figured that I would re-release it when I released Love Reborn. I wanted to give my readers a better experience this time around which is why I released Love Reborn on the same date that I released Love Unbroken, which was exactly one year later.

I had no idea that Amazon would have to verify if changes were made in order to update the book. I've seen plenty of others do rewrites and not report any problems, so I didn't see a reason to be concerned. But maybe a week after the re-release, some people I knew was telling me that they couldn't get the new version because Amazon told them they had bought it already. I knew they couldn't buy it again (and I didn't want them to have to buy it again in the first place), so I told them that Amazon was supposed to have sent an update with the new content. They hadn't received it.

I looked at the preview of the book on Amazon and it SHOWED the new version. So I contacted Amazon because I'm confused and a tad bit flustered at this point. They told me that they would look over the content and if it showed critical updates or something that would improve the reader's experience (or some crap like that), then they would update it. They said it would take up to four weeks and blah blah hoop la. So fine, I thought. Maybe it wouldn't take the whole four weeks.

These dag blasted four weeks passed and then I get an email saying that "if you can prove that you've made critical changes to the book, improved grammar, formatting" blah blah blah, then they can update the book. Pause. Hold the hell up. Why are you sending me this FOUR WEEKS LATER?! This was the same email they sent me when I started my damn inquiry! I told them that I had written full chapters to go with the book and if I rewrote it, the grammar was obviously correct! So I sent them another email telling them this and I didn't hear back for another week. At this point, I thought things were okay.

THEN I received an email a few days ago saying THE SAME THING. I officially realized that I was getting nowhere with these people. So I told them that if I couldn't get it fixed, I may as well pull both of my books from their site. It would be pointless to put the first book and leave the sequel up. In the end, they just decided that they couldn't do what I asked (which is updating my book for those who bought it) and sent me this email:

Hello, 

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this is causing to you. 

I understand that you've updated full chapters in your book and would like the updates to be sent to the customers. 

However, due to complaints from our customers in the past that they were not interested to receive updates for ebooks in general every time there is a change in the content, as sending them the updates for the smallest changes was causing a bad customer experience. In the interest of our readers, we can only send the updates if we confirm that improvements are in place to correct the quality issues negatively affecting the overall reading experience in the older version. 

At this time, what I can see is that, if you've made even fewer quality improvements like grammar, corrected some typos or have improved the formatting, you can let us know, this way, we'll be able to send the corrections along with the updates to the chapters you've made. 

However, if you know these customers personally, I'd urge you to direct them to get in touch with us over the phone on these toll free phones and request us to send the updates and we'll be update their books. 

U.S. and Canada: 1-866-216-1072

International: 1-206-266-2992

We're sorry we haven't been able to address your concerns to your satisfaction. We will not be able to offer any additional insight or action on these matters.

Who wants to actually call just to have their book updated?! I feel so upset about this! I worked so damn hard on making that book better and the old customers haven't even had a chance to read it! My hands are tied with this one. Apparently, only the new customers will receive the updated version. If you've bought the old version of Love Unbroken, you can call that number or send an email to their customer service to ask for an update. I wish there was more that I could do.

Thanks so much for your patience and understanding. I have officially learned that I will not rewrite another book ever again!

xoxo,

Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages